Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nothing to do with catastrophic catastrophes, but isn't the fact you roll around on electric power, then you need to merge into real life (traffic) and you wake the ice (stone cold) and rev the crap out of your just awakened engine.

just thinking out loud...
It's been written about before, but the ICE isn't "stone cold" because if it's actually "cold" the ICE does a warm-up when you first turn the truck on, and if needed (cold weather) the ICE runs periodically to keep all the fluids warm - even if the HVB does not need recharging.

Second, when the ICE engages, it doesn't "rev the crap out of your just awakened engine." It brings the engine online and revs just about the same rate of engine acceleration that any other ICE would do when accelerating. The transition from electric to "hybrid" power is a fairly smooth transition.

I run with "real life (traffic)" in my hybrid every time I drive it - whether in pure-electric or hybrid-electric modes. I'm not making jack-rabbit starts, but I keep up with the traffic around me so I don't impede anyone. There is never a time when the engine "revs like crap" without me flooring the accelerator - something completely unnecessary in normal traffic.

I wish people would stop posting just to create FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) when they are completely ignorant about the operation of the hybrid power plant. It is neither helpful, nor useful to the Maverick community.
Sponsored

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's been written about before, but the ICE isn't "stone cold" because if it's actually "cold" the ICE does a warm-up when you first turn the truck on, and if needed (cold weather) the ICE runs periodically to keep all the fluids warm - even if the HVB does not need recharging.

Second, when the ICE engages, it doesn't "rev the crap out of your just awakened engine." It brings the engine online and revs just about the same rate of engine acceleration that any other ICE would do when accelerating. The transition from electric to "hybrid" power is a fairly smooth transition.

I run with "real life (traffic)" in my hybrid every time I drive it - whether in pure-electric or hybrid-electric modes. I'm not making jack-rabbit starts, but I keep up with the traffic around me so I don't impede anyone. There is never a time when the engine "revs like crap" without me flooring the accelerator - something completely unnecessary in normal traffic.

I wish people would stop posting just to create FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) when they are completely ignorant about the operation of the hybrid power plant. It is neither helpful, nor useful to the Maverick community.
Thanks for the kind words...

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My truck went in production in August of 22 but finished on September 11 of 22
Would assume was waiting for the hitch or airbags or a chip
Assume it will be on the list even tho finished after the date
No! Don't assume that! Think more positive.....

Thoron99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Searched NHSTA today using my VIN and got “no open recalls”, crossing fingers!

Haven’t bought the truck yet though so who knows?

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just checked the ford recall site.
Still clear using my VIN.

However, decided to put my year/ model in and see what comes up.

That showed an under hood fire warning.

Apparently the more specific, the better the info.
Hope this helps someone.

Sponsored

Block

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The recall date ends on May 18th, so did they fix the engine issue?

I read somewhere it's a bearing that fails, but also read that engines made after October 2022 (December?) have not failed.
So did they fix the issue in October, and if so, why does the recall apparently include trucks made with those newer engines?

Block

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They aren't going to "fix the engine". they already had a recall on the fire issue and simply added more ventilation. This time I think they'll add a shield to block spurting oil from hitting anything hot. And maybe add a warning msg when they sense the engine has failed.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I read somewhere it's a bearing that fails, but also read that engines made after October 2022 (December?) have not failed.
So did they fix the issue in October, and if so, why does the recall apparently include trucks made with those newer engines?
That's a really good question. Strange dating. No recall and no issue for my 1-12-23 build, but I don't know the engine date. Hope Ford releases a bit more details for the conflicting dates.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Ford introduced engine production changes ('improving crankshaft machining/finishing operations and reducing contamination introduced during engine assembly') up to August 2022, but did not switch to exclusively utilizing those new engines for production of vehicles going forwards. So those old inventory engines were still showing a statistically elevated failure rate (0.17%) prompting further action.

Sponsored

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford introduced engine production changes ('improving crankshaft machining/finishing operations and reducing contamination introduced during engine assembly') up to August 2022, but did not switch to exclusively utilizing those new engines for production of vehicles going forwards. So those old inventory engines were still showing a statistically elevated failure rate (0.17%) prompting further action.
I heard that Ford isn't happy with the way the Quality in the Mexico plant was being handled and moved the manufacture of those Engines back to the US. Some validation that US built engines are in some Hybrid Mavericks from a guy named JMC6000 on YouTube.

zf1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The instructions for this unit warn against storage over 150 degrees.
I am sorry, but I have ordered the same unit and very clearly the instructions (both on the device and in the attached instructions manual) states a warning against storing above 120F and NOT 150F.

EDIT: on the bottle it states 120F. In the instructions in the "where to mount" section it also states 120F, but in the section on how to expose an empty one it states don't expose it to 150F even when fully discharged.
In summary, no, you probably should not store this in your car if you expect temps to go above 120F - which is quite possible on a hot summer day.

Last edited:

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, I’m sorry guys.
I didn’t mean to mislead you.
Obviously I dropped the ball.

I will probably leave it my truck since it’s white. I rarely park my car for long periods in the sun and garage it when at home.

I was reading this part:
Never locate this extinguisher close to an engine, stove or other source of heat. It is pressurized and could rupture or explode if exposed to temperatures over 150° F (66° C)

Last edited:

MavEminutiae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, I’m sorry guys.
I didn’t mean to mislead you.
Obviously I dropped the ball.

I will probably leave it my truck since it’s white. I rarely park my car for long periods in the sun and garage it when at home.
No worries. We've all been there. We're all human. Great character on your part by owning it.
Sponsored

Reactions: zf1