2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The incidence rate for the Hyundai/Kia engines was much higher and the cause more specific.

Given the tales of woe stemming from the airbag recall would you want a dealership taking apart the bottom end of your engine to inspect the crankshaft, main, and rod bearings?
I'd rather they just make it right the in the first place. But if I had to choose between a software 'fix' that can still leave me stranded somewhere, or a new engine that doesn't have the problem, I'll pick the latter every time. So yeah, take it apart.
Sponsored

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd rather they just make it right the in the first place. But if I had to choose between a software 'fix' that can still leave me stranded somewhere, or a new engine that doesn't have the problem, I'll pick the latter every time. So yeah, take it apart.
No dobut agree on that. I just rather they admit fault and replace the engines so there would be no further lawsuits. I believe there is a CSP for Admin FSA 23S27, but unsure what that will entail specifically. We will have to wait until possibly April/May when the initial recall came out last year.

Last edited:
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, so this is the updated info from NHTSA they aren’t technically going to fix the engine unless if the engine breaks down they will replace it. If you have a 2023 model then it's an automatic replacement of the engine.

Ford Maverick ⚠️ Recall 23S27 & Delivery Hold on 2.5L Maverick Hybrids for Under Hood Fire (Notice Date 5/31/23) IMG_5380

Last edited:

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Of course the $50 question, how will the software detect the connecting rod failure? - My guess would be change in RPM during operation combined with the knock sensor, which could be the result of other causes, say a misfire, injector issue, or other possibilities. As a bit shade-tree mechanic, and having developed software for 30 years, I'm curious how they'll accomplish that detection in software.

Once my brother's back to work, I need to pick his head on what they're doing, as he'll most likely have seen the internals on what was done. The original plan was to potentially drop the pan and take a peak at the journal in question, then bolt it back together. Guess that was found to be too costly or ill advised given the small number of affected engines verses the total number of potentially affected vehicles. Sadly, it appears they don't know which engines received the potentially bad crankshafts. (They do however know the serial number of the engine installed in a specific vehicle).

There's also no reason to replace all 2023 Hybrid engines, those made after sometime in April or May of 2023, whatever the magic date is, aren't even affected. Not sure if the wording wasn't transposed, and that those will a failed engine get a new engine if a 2023 models, and others get a long-block, which would make more sense. Guess we'll find out in the next month or two.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Of course the $50 question, how will the software detect the connecting rod failure? - My guess would be change in RPM during operation combined with the knock sensor, which could be the result of other causes, say a misfire, injector issue, or other possibilities. As a bit shade-tree mechanic, and having developed software for 30 years, I'm curious how they'll accomplish that detection in software.

Once my brother's back to work, I need to pick his head on what they're doing, as he'll most likely have seen the internals on what was done. The original plan was to potentially drop the pan and take a peak at the journal in question, then bolt it back together. Guess that was found to be too costly or ill advised given the small number of affected engines verses the total number of potentially affected vehicles. Sadly, it appears they don't know which engines received the potentially bad crankshafts. (They do however know the serial number of the engine installed in a specific vehicle).

There's also no reason to replace all 2023 Hybrid engines, those made after sometime in April or May of 2023, whatever the magic date is, aren't even affected. Not sure if the wording wasn't transposed, and that those will a failed engine get a new engine if a 2023 models, and others get a long-block, which would make more sense. Guess we'll find out in the next month or two.
I agree that’s what was posted on NHTSA’s website. I’m predicting that it will be software with an installed part.
Sponsored