Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious why you think this comparison is bogus? I am not trying to be inflammatory, I genuinely would like to understand your argument here. Your own points make the case that Tesla being under 10 years old producing electric vehicles has nearly beat Ford a 118 years old car manufacturer. Tesla's 2022 1st quarter beat their 2021 1st quarter numbers by 68%. a 68% increase in production for 1st quarter year over year. As of this a.m. no other major manufacturer has a year over year increase in production but Tesla. Tesla's actual 1st quarter production number is 310,000 units vs Ford 412,000. Tesla has 2 new production facilities coming online during the next quarter inc a Texas facility. Second quarter production numbers could easily beat Ford.

I do not believe that Ford's problems w the Bronco, Maverick and Lightning have solely to do w chip shortages. Why isn't tesla dealing w those issues, they just posted a 68% increase in production units from 2021 to 2022. Other manufacturers production are down too but nowhere near the deal Ford is seeing. Something else is kinking up the pipeline.
Bogus because his statement is lacking any details or proof. Which quarter are we talking about for comparison? Which models exactly is he including for each manufacturer in that specific quarter? It is not an Apples to Apples comparison like that which can be easily argued or rebutted.

Here's a real comparison, Tesla Model 3 was pitched as the more affordable car for family budgets and heavily hyped when it went into production in July 2017. (Wiki on Tesla model 3 history at end).

2022 Maverick was also pitched as an affordable entry level vehicle for the masses when it went into production Sept 2021.

Comparing Tesla Model 3 initial quarter of production (3rd 2017) & Maverick initial quarter of production (4th 2021) quarter production you get 260 Model 3 units vs. Maverick 13,258 units.

*note* Tesla started production later in it's initial quarter, and Maverick actually gained a couple weeks at end of 2nd quarter- but also lost last 2 weeks to factory holiday shutdown, so roughly equal production time for each...

Then compare the next production quarter for each as they ramped up, 4TH Q 2017 for Tesla 1542
Model 3 units vs. 1ST Q 2022 10,550 Maverick units. Which 1 of those quarters was OP talking about?

Maybe instead we can look at a recent complete year of ALL models produced by each company and divide it into quarters and pick 1? how about 2020 with supply shortages hitting due to pandemic supply chain problems?

Tesla 2020 TOTAL production = 499,535
Ford 2020 TOTAL production = 4.187 Million

So which quarters again was OP comparing? I just call out disingenuous arguments where people throw out a blanket statement repeatedly with no support to back it up- or even try- and want to be taken seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_3
Sponsored

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford reported on 1/5/22 that Maverick sales for calendar year 2021 totaled 13,258.
By Ford's reporting, the number of Mavericks sold through March 31, 2022 is: 32,503.

In the same January report Ford said 25,880 Mavericks had been produced in 2021, meaning they still had 12,622 Mavericks sitting around waiting for chips/parts or transportation as of 12/31/21. That's a lot of vehicles to move through the pipeline.

Depending on how fast they can whittle down that built, unsold number, it's probably safe to say we'll see more booked sales in the coming months than production numbers would logically support. In other words, just because Ford sold 8,695 units last month, it doesn't necessarily mean they built 8,695 Mavs in March, sad to say... ๐Ÿ˜

Last edited:

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well until we sign off and get the keys and walk out I won't believe it! Our p.o.s. dealer tried to sell the order out from under us back on Feb 15, salesman left vmail (in my post history). I set him straight. Dealership has given me zero info, not 1 call or email. I called Ford for my VIN# and after chewing out the salesman (and making him cry ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ) he sent me the internal live spreadsheet w orders that I have gotten my railcar # from. Considering some of the issues posted here, until we walk out w the truck, I am not going to say we are lucky.
Understandable. I wish you luck anyway...

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Conquesting in the auto industry is defined as customers switching brands. e.g. I left my Toyota Prius V for the Maverick would be a Ford conquest. Other industries use it too. It is mostly an internally used term.

All manufacturers and industry experts seriously look at these numbers because this is where growth comes from and they want to see if the customer becomes loyal (which is where the trade-in a brand product for a new brand product).

Conquest shows up in various subjects besides changing brands such as changing from ICE to Hybrid/PHEV/EV, trends, accessories, parts, service, etc.
Thank you for the explanation. So I now understand that the "conquest" is one's switching from one brand to another. Not sure I understand how that figure relates to loyalty to the new brand. Only after I make my next purchase will Ford know if the Maverick contributed to loyalty on my part. It is filling a demand for a what appears to be a real consumer need. Loyalty will depend if it fulfills that need in the eye of the purchaser and he/she returns to Ford for their next vehicle.

Sponsored

oilman300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatโ€™s the deal with the production emails on Thursdays? Ae they not doing them anymore?
Ford stopped sending them when the production week has been scheduled. They will send the email when a production day has been assigned.

Azul93GT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09'Escape LTD, 04' Ranger Edge, a couple of Fox
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
...On the flip side, although they were able to deliver over 8k in March, it's clear that the supply chain issues are still an issue, as they only planned for 5400 scheduling allocations during March (for builds in the May timeframe). This suggests the May build output will be in that 5400 range, so that will be for sales in the late June/early July timeframe.

Hopefully this week we find out how many allocations they plan for April (for builds in June, delivery in Aug-Sep).
So you are projecting if I don't have a build date assigned at this time the best I can hope for is an August delivery?

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for the explanation. So I now understand that the "conquest" is one's switching from one brand to another. Not sure I understand how that figure relates to loyalty to the new brand. Only after I make my next purchase will Ford know if the Maverick contributed to loyalty on my part. It is filling a demand for a what appears to be a real consumer need. Loyalty will depend if it fulfills that need in the eye of the purchaser and he/she returns to Ford for their next vehicle.
Loyalty is usually measured by customers purchasing multiple new car.

When I was working for the manufacturers in fixed operations, I always told executives that without good customer satisfaction in service, loyalty is fleeting. Loyalty needs to be built UP in the Service Dept. The dealer I ran serviced any vehicle our client wanted from BMW, VW, Porsche, Ford, GM, etc. Let's just say my Used Vehicle Service Dept made my financial statement look very good.

Most dealers still don't get it.. By that, I mean General Managers and Owners. They want monthly results and do not see the larger picture of retention that = Loyalty. Live and Die By Monthly Results is a very simpleton and simplistic way of building a business but does not build Loyalty.

Just my 2cent$.

Last edited:

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Loyalty is usually measured by customers purchasing multiple new car.

When I was working for the manufacturers in fixed operations, I always told executives that without good customer satisfaction in service, loyalty is fleeting. Loyalty needs to be built UP in the Service Dept. The dealer I ran serviced any vehicle our client wanted from BMW, VW, Porsche, Ford, GM, etc. Let's just say my Used Vehicle Service Dept made my financial statement look very good.

Most dealers still don't get it.. By that, I mean General Managers and Owners. They want monthly results and do not see the larger picture of retention that = Loyalty. Live and Die By Monthly Results is a very simpleton and simplistic way of building a business.

Just my 2cent$.
Totally agree. Very similar to stock market fluctuations based on quarterly results versus multi-year results.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen 1 -- in my driveway :) + 2 in NYC, 1 additional in my NJ town, + 2 driving on Rt 95 They're out there!
What I have seen beyond mine there is one area 51 xlt that works at my pharmacy, one white xl that is a security firm, one red first edition, one silver one, another silver one, two that work at ford dealership, that's all I remember.

Sponsored

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you are projecting if I don't have a build date assigned at this time the best I can hope for is an August delivery?
This week they are scheduling for build weeks 5/16 & 5/23. Delivery seems to be running 4-6 weeks from build, so someone who gets a 5/16 or 5/23 build week would likely expect delivery in the late June to early July timeframe.

The next round of scheduling (which could be next week or several weeks from now) would be for the week of 5/31, which would imply a delivery in the early-mid July timeframe.

All of this assumes no additional chip holds for the orders that are scheduled (there have been cases earlier in the year of some orders being *mostly* built and then parked -for weeks to months - outside the factory awaiting some final components prior to shipment).

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford reported on 1/5/22 that Maverick sales for calendar year 2021 totaled 13,258.
By Ford's reporting, the number of Mavericks sold through March 31, 2022 is: 32,503.

In the same January report Ford said 25,880 Mavericks had been produced in 2021, meaning they still had 12,622 Mavericks sitting around waiting for chips/parts or transportation as of 12/31/21. That's a lot of vehicles to move through the pipeline.

Depending on how fast they can whittle down that built, unsold number, it's probably safe to say we'll see more booked sales in the coming months than production numbers would logically support. In other words, just because Ford sold 8,695 units last month, it doesn't necessarily mean they built 8,695 Mavs in March, sad to say... ๐Ÿ˜
Supply chain problems??? See attached: Fido ordered a Maverick also!!!

Opinion: The latest political cartoons (msn.com)

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford Maverick ๐Ÿ“ˆ Maverick March 2022 Sales: 8,695 Sold 1649181542506

2022 Ford Maverick Sales Outpaced The Ford Ranger Last Quarter

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick makes the ranger a niche vehicle now. Small, cheap, functional, practical vehicle in the maverick or a real truck with the f150. What other than increased towing capacity does the ranger offer over maverick? Smaller cabin? Might as well get an f150 over ranger at that point. Mileage doesnโ€™t even suffer optioned correctly, plus better resale.

Azul93GT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09'Escape LTD, 04' Ranger Edge, a couple of Fox
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If Ford offered me a deal on a Ranger I'd switch out of the Maverick order.
Sponsored