Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Yeah tires where not the problem. Its just not an off road vehicle.. Has no bend when the wheels come off the ground, then power didnt transfer.

I climbed a mile and half mountain with my BMW, i did go very slow but did it with no problem on street tires. My point is both these cars have a place and off roading makes just as much sense with a BMW as it does a maverick.. To each there own but here is an two examples

On road
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 off-roading review (by BlakesCars2) 20211021_164925

Off road
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 off-roading review (by BlakesCars2) 20210805_135043
Sponsored

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Right but for how much ($$$)? If I bought an FX4 off-road Ford truck, I shouldn't have to "fix" anything just to drive it off-road.. Based on your list, someone would be looking at thousands of dollars for fixes you mention.. And you wouldn't really be fixing anything, you'd just be slightly enhancing what's already there.

For anyone wanting to off-road, the Maverick (FX4 or not) just isn't the right tool for the job. I don't care what the sticker on the side says.
Jeep Gladiator!

ToothGrinder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick hasn’t been out that long and we already have a divide between people who want to complain about off roading the mav and people that enjoy their lives.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you can pull a 4k trailer and have the fx4 package... I'm sure the maverick can do some rock crawling.. without pulling the 4k on your shoulders... I'm sure Maverick will have enough power to do some rock crawling right???
With regard to "rock crawling", no. It doesn't have adequate ground clearance, good enough suspension articulation or a locking rear differential. It has plenty of power but it can't apply it where it counts. It will be fine in snow or muddy trails but it's not very impressive otherwise. Even if it had the clearance, suspension and locking diff, the wheel wells are too small to fit the kind of oversized tires you need for "rock crawling". Oh and the approach angle is not favorable, nor is the wheel base.

If you have the tow package, FX4 buys you the lariat dash display, tow hooks, skid plates, nice wheels and crappy "A/T" tires, slightly upgraded rear shocks and a few different drive modes which are just software. Oh and cheesy stickers on the side of the bed. For $800 that isn't horrible provided you like the wheels.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My problem with the FX4/AWD is that it really seems like the vehicle has problems deciding where to apply power. In the videos I’ll see one wheel spinning and another wheel touching the ground doing nothing?

it almost seems like they gave a ton of preference to the front wheels even when they are spinning uselessly.

Just seems like something with the AWD system isn’t lining up when it loses traction.

Sponsored

Comet71

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Comet 71
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mercury Comet
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My problem with the FX4/AWD is that it really seems like the vehicle has problems deciding where to apply power. In the videos I’ll see one wheel spinning and another wheel touching the ground doing nothing?

it almost seems like they gave a ton of preference to the front wheels even when they are spinning uselessly.

Just seems like something with the AWD system isn’t lining up when it loses traction.
Yes, I've seen the videos where the Maverick lacks ability in Mud/Ruts mode.

With regard to "rock crawling", no. It doesn't have adequate ground clearance, good enough suspension articulation or a locking rear differential. It has plenty of power but it can't apply it where it counts. It will be fine in snow or muddy trails but it's not very impressive otherwise. Even if it had the clearance, suspension and locking diff, the wheel wells are too small to fit the kind of oversized tires you need for "rock crawling". Oh and the approach angle is not favorable, nor is the wheel base.
Good points. I just really wish the Maverick could have the ability to do even a little bit of rock crawling. :(

I have watched the review videos of the off-road tests that show the Maverick struggling with mud/ruts mode. I noticed that they haven't tried slippery mode on hills. There is a guy that did. Here's is a short video. He put weight in the back (3 dirt bikes). He tried this hill on normal mode and the tires were spinning. Then he tried it in Slippery Mode and it looks like the Maverick did great.

It looks like Slippery Mode could be used in place of Mud/Ruts maybe. I agree with both of you that the software stinks.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fact that this truck gets stuck on dirt covered hills in every video is pathetic and downright alarming. Its not putting power down correctly, period and should be a simple fix. Asking it to go up a muddy or loose dirt hill is not asking a lot and should really not be considered "off roading". Tires may make a difference on some things but the things I've seen it get stuck on were not related to issues with ground clearance. I would not be comfortable taking this down any forest road with dirt hills mud or any incline. Ford sees it and will fix this problem on 2023 models. You have already seen the spy photos of their fix for this. This truck does nothing a slightly lifted FWD car can't do. I guess Ill be trading mine out next year for a 2023. My 2017 V6 Equinox that I sold in July in anticipation for this Maverick would murder this truck off road and it didnt need any of these hokey wanna-be drive modes.

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I've seen the videos where the Maverick lacks ability in Mud/Ruts mode.

Good points. I just really wish the Maverick could have the ability to do even a little bit of rock crawling. :(

I have watched the review videos of the off-road tests that show the Maverick struggling with mud/ruts mode. I noticed that they haven't tried slippery mode on hills. There is a guy that did. Here's is a short video. He put weight in the back (3 dirt bikes). He tried this hill on normal mode and the tires were spinning. Then he tried it in Slippery Mode and it looks like the Maverick did great.

It looks like Slippery Mode could be used in place of Mud/Ruts maybe. I agree with both of you that the software stinks.

I have yet to see an off road test video where they have real AT tires on it. They all have the ones that are more like all season radials. Even if they did it still lacks clearance and a locking rear diff. It will do fine in snow or soft roads but forget rock hopping. A good driver could wring a lot out of it but it's just not designed for much more.
Sponsored