Sponsored

Carrying skis?

Masshole_Rick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Lobstah boat
Been thinking about ordering a Maverick, but can't shake the thought that, for all its other capabilities, this thing can't carry my skis in the winter.

Seems like a pair of short downhill skis might fit the box diagonally. But for longer skis, say my 195cm cross countrys -- what's a short-box truck owner do for that?
Sponsored

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Been thinking about ordering a Maverick, but can't shake the thought that, for all its other capabilities, this thing can't carry my skis in the winter.

Seems like a pair of short downhill skis might fit the box diagonally. But for longer skis, say my 195cm cross countrys -- what's a short-box truck owner do for that?
Hang them out the back up on the tailgate? If you really want protection you might be able to get a roof box on the roof or put bars on the bed to run the roof box. What are you driving now?

I see you're in Mass. I'm in metro west and I'm looking to sell my Thule roof box. It'll carry up to about a 210cm ski. If you're interested, I'll give you a good deal. :)

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This will be my go-to:
Ford Maverick Carrying skis? 1628604604195

Or there will be cheaper DIY solutions possible with the tailgate open
Ford Maverick Carrying skis? 1628604662591
Ford Maverick Carrying skis? 1628604683885

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Buy a vw. They are made for carrying skis

LDProductions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Escape
I was thinking the same thing re: XC skis. I'll probably get a bike tailgate pad for my mountain bike anyway and the top straps should hold my skis pretty well I think.
Ford Maverick Carrying skis? 1628607917098

A surfboard pad may work too:
Ford Maverick Carrying skis? 1628608336538

Last edited:

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been pondering the same thing. My wife said "stick them through the back window." I deleted the back window. Besides...in winter?

With my knees, this may be a moot point anyway. But I figure there are lots of work-arounds. I haven't carried skis on the roof for ages (been using the ski passthrough in a series of VW Jettas) and don't like the idea of exposing the edges and bindings to the salt spray. So the skis need to go in a top box or ski bag. Box idea above. If I use a bag, I can just hand it over the tailgate and strap it down so it doesn't slide around.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was thinking the same thing re: XC skis. I'll probably get a bike tailgate pad for my mountain bike anyway and the top straps should hold my skis pretty well I think.
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea! Just gotta be careful about cutting the pad with the ski edge.

dergrah

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had to know if I could make this truck work for my skis. The dealer let me try this out as well as my downhill mountain bike. Two Pairs of 185cm skis fit. It’s tight but it works. Also learned that the Ford soft top would not work for me as it doesn’t fully fold up. We had to remove the top that came with the first edition to fit my bike in over the tail gate.

Ford Maverick Carrying skis? B89C313E-4B4D-4E4D-93E4-29810AD506FE

Stevospeedo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD FX4 4K Towing 245/65R17 Falken WP A/T3W
I had to know if I could make this truck work for my skis. The dealer let me try this out as well as my downhill mountain bike. Two Pairs of 185cm skis fit. It’s tight but it works. Also learned that the Ford soft top would not work for me as it doesn’t fully fold up. We had to remove the top that came with the first edition to fit my bike in over the tail gate.

B89C313E-4B4D-4E4D-93E4-29810AD506FE.jpeg
Yikes. I wouldn't want those rattling around back there scratching up my skis or bed, even with a liner...

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
Thank you for posting this. I'm very happy to know my 158CM snowboard would appear to fit just fine.

Yikes. I wouldn't want those rattling around back there scratching up my skis or bed, even with a liner...
Scratching up your skis? Against what? Themselves?

Scratching up your bed liner... really? What's the point of a bed if you're afraid to throw stuff in it?

A run with poor snow coverage or a newbie bumping to you in the lift line is going to do way more damage than skis stored on skis.

My board must be close to 10 years old at this point. It has a scratch or two. Still rides as good as the day I bought it after literally hundreds of days on the snow.

Sponsored

pickupdude

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
im just praying my 6' surfboard fits in like this or else i have to get a rack and cover. super stoked to get this truck, just really wish they had made the bed 5 or 6 feet.

Metaloon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD 4K FX4 360 Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Carrying skis? IMG_20230727_133019074

190s will fit if you separate them. Or at least Elan Boomerangs will. Would be even easier with more rocker.

Ford Maverick Carrying skis? IMG_20230727_133730795

Sentry CT cover will also lock with skis under the lip. So if you've got one, that's a great option for when friends are visiting and you need to temporarily fit more than 2-3 pairs of long skis. Doesn't keep them hidden, but it's secure enough to leave them in the truck during the day

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hot damn! so there is hope my 187s will fit! do you do anything to keep them from rattling around back there and dinging up your edges?

is that a drop in bed liner? it kind of looks like it but I'm not sure....

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Behold my $0, 15 min. ski solution. That is if you don't count the $3200 for the cap, hehe. Just plywood I had and and NRS 15 strap. The board is at the bed rail height, widest point of the bed. Opposite corners are cut off to fit it in.

XLT Lux with no bed add-ons. There are no bed rails (yet), just open threads. The standard 8 tie downs have proved enough to strap anything down. 170mm skis fitted are diagonally. Would work for 1-3 pairs below 180. Longer than that and you'd have to angle them vertically as well.

Can I crack a brew here or does this need improvement?

Ford Maverick Carrying skis? 20231023_214915

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
im just praying my 6' surfboard fits in like this or else i have to get a rack and cover. super stoked to get this truck, just really wish they had made the bed 5 or 6 feet.
Here is my solution I recently installed for my Mav AWD in Park City. You can use the rack for a lot more than just surfboards or skis. The full size owners who say the Maverick is not a truck might reconsider.

Sponsored