2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First, Sam (gamgee) The Maverick

So, I've got an Alto blue 2.0 4k and I bought a awesome little trailer to it with.

I thought I might start a little build diary for both. There's going to be more trailer in here since it needs more.

Done so far:

Maverick:

Ford emblem overlay
Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220729_182129778

Diy backseat extender for the dogs. It consists of two boxes and a vinyl wrapped bench. Comes in and out really easy. We store dog water, bowls, leashes and stuff inside the boxes. Leaves room to access rear usb. It's covered with a hammock style protector so doesn't really matter what it looks like, you can't see it.

I have a 110lb and 85lb dog and they are happy and comfortable with this in place. We've done a few 8 hour driving days and they were good to go.
Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220727_154843457

Truxedo hard roll up tonneau cover. I love this thing. Easy to install, no leaks, and we can have everything in the back safely when the dogs take up the whole rear seat. So glad I chose this one.

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220802_103313834

Ceramic coat using crystal light. Again, so worthwhile. Glad I did it quick while paint still in good shape. Can't believe how good this stuff works.

Next morning. Yes I'm usually in my bathrobe. If you watch always Sunny you'll see the resemblance to the mcdoyles .
Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220807_111942112

Here it is after a 7 hour drive to buy trailer, including lots of gravel roads and rain:
Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_152135843

Bed extender I already owned from a sportrac. Just had to order the strike bolts. Fits great. I plasti dipped in teal to see if teal could work with the alto blue, because I love teal and would do the rims that color. It didn't work, so I'm not doing rims in that.
Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220729_195406752

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220729_195356632

Also added fx4 drive modes using forscan, and have already had chance to enjoy the mud/ruts mode. Worth doing imo.

Only other thing is a k&n filter out if curiosity.

Gratuitous camping photo:

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220801_150155747
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Superchunk

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Next, The Tin Can

This handsome devil is a 1960s aluminum bed hauler. Basically like the first teardrop. It's 11"*6'*4.9'. probably weighs about 500lb or something. I can move it around myself without much trouble.

The purpose is to have a comfortable bed and a kitchen without having to tow much or think too much about the trailer. Small easy to maneuver and light is the key. We don't need much luxury beyond a good bed.

We do need to fit two adults and two big dogs though, which will be a tight squeeze.
Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_105558824

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_133333691

Size comparison with f150

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_133320530

Sexy interior

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_133345430

Rear kitchen

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_133434633

Demo progress

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220809_201902749

Demo nearly completed

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220812_220610623

Things to do:

Repair roof. Not bad condition but snow load caused a minor collapse which allows water to pool and so leaks into the top vent. Will need to push it back up and support better, and then seal the whole roof up nice and tight.

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220808_140247442

Build new pull out kitchen. Space is at a premium so instead of a kitchen that goes into the trailer top to bottom we will have a slide out that goes under the bed.

- new leaf springs
- floor rot repair around doors
- reseal windows
- replace any rot in studs under windows
- replace screws with siding screws
- install bed framing
- install solar system
- paint
- decorate
- profit

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Best of both worlds. Great truck and custom camper!

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
đź‘Ťnice! I like it!

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tin Can is awesome. I've been looking for something similar for awhile. Will defintely be following this to see how it all takes shape. LOL @ the 'didn't work' on the plastidip teal...we've all been there with some DIY project or another. Great that you got the bed extender to fit though.

Sponsored

CallBall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’ve done a great job with everything! Can you tell us a little more about the backseat extender for your dogs? I have a 75lb. Great Pyrenees puppy that will need one when I get my truck.

OP
OP

Superchunk

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You’ve done a great job with everything! Can you tell us a little more about the backseat extender for your dogs? I have a 75lb. Great Pyrenees puppy that will need one when I get my truck.
One of mine is a meremma, awesome dog, strange, but awesome.

So what I did was:
Set both front seats to as far back as they will ever need to go. I'm 5'8" so my dogs get some nice space.
Measure from there to back seat. That's your bench width. Make the boxes a fair bit narrower so they fit in there comfortably without being tipped by the slope of the seat. Pretty sure mine were 8"
Measure from floor to about 2" below level of back seat, that's your box height.
And then measure your depth in the footwell.
Build your boxes. I left mine with an opening as t the front and we keep our dog supplies like water and bowls in there. You don't have to, it's harder box to build depending on your abilities.
I rounded off all the edges to reduce scratches when putting them in or out, and sprayed with plastidip for a little more cushion.
I lined the inside with craft foam from the dollar store so stuff inside didn't clang around audibly.

Bench
Remember you're going to be padding and upholstering the bench, and you want padding around all edges. This will take up a good 2" from every measurement. So your width from front seat to back seat will be -2"

Measure total length of back seat from edge to edge. Subtract your 2" or more.

Measure from edge to usb console thing. Again, leave space. Mark that coming from both ends of bench. Then measure depth of usb console thing. Then cut this out of the bench, still leaving 1" on each cute minimum. I cut enough away to allow me to still access the ports so I could charge on road trips.

Cut and dry fit bench.

Pad the bench. Foam is expensive so look around the house. I had an old yoga matt, which is water resistant, soft and easy to work with. I was able to get 2 layers and it worked perfectly. A new yoga matt would still be about 10% the price of upholstery foam.
Then I finally had to buy something, the fabric. I got vinyl that kinda matched the scheme of the doors since nothing looked like the seat colour.
I also bought spray adhesive.

Measure the distance from where your bench ends to the middle of the boxes. In your bench, cut two holes using a hole saw or jigsaw (about 3-4" is good) where it sits at the middle of the box.
Take the Cutt off circles and sand the edges down so they sit easily and comfortably back into the holes they came from.
Glue the cut offs onto the top of the boxes.
This is so you can slot your bench down into the boxes and it will sit securely and hold everything together, but still be really easy to remove.

Measure and cut your yoga matt. I had some foamy stuff around (this is why I never throw anything out) and I spray adhesive -ed it around the edges for extra 'dont scratch my new truck'. Spray adhesive on your two layers of yoga matt.
Wrap your bench with the vinyl (google how) and affix using spray adhesive and staples.

I think you're done now!

I can take more pics if it helps.

This makes a huge difference for the dogs, they don't have to try and fit onto the Barros seat, they can lie down, stretch, don't slide off on braking and hard turns etc...

CallBall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed write up. My dog is only 9 months old and she’s already huge, so having that extra space and making it so she doesn’t fall off into the footwell will be great for her.

OP
OP

Superchunk

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Little update on Sam. Factory wheels powder coated and Falken Wildpeak Trail

Ford Maverick Sam and the Tin Can PXL_20220818_174535564~3