Sponsored

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2021 Expedition, 1993 T-bird
how far off are we talking on the downpipe? if you have the gasket it might not be too hard or expensive to have a steel flange made that will allow it to be welded to needed exhaust pieces.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correct, and that may be how I do it. It's really not off by that much. I may be able to just cut a slot from the holes outward on one or two of the stud locations, and that may give enough room to work.

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I am making an assumption that the 2.3T and the 2.0T use the exact same block (or VERY similar). Judging by the pictures of the oil feed and return lines, this appears to be the case. The Ranger turbo looks to sit about 1" higher than the Maverick turbo, due to a shorter twinscroll inlet from the head. This will bring with it a few issues all around. 1, we will most likely need the oil feed and return lines from the Ranger for exact fit, and those are somewhat backordered at the dealers. 2, plumbing will change slightly. Hopefully there is enough room underneath to raise the downpipe the 1 inch without having to modify it. Same for the intake side, which I believe will be easier to work with. 3, the Electronic Wastegate Actuator electrical connector is on top of the turbo, where on the maverick it is on the bottom. Again, making the assumption that the connector uses the same pinout, this may need the wires to be extended, or unsheathed and rerouted.

I wanted to find pieces that already are in production for things like the intercooler, as to not have delays on parts. If you get a custom one made, that will be bad ass!

The trans is a total mystery. I do not believe it was only designed to handle 258lbft, as from what I can tell from my research, they use the same trans on the Corsair 2.3T, which has 310lbft. Also I still have yet to hear of a failure, and I know there are a few out there tuned, making decent power. However, if you look at my second post, I posted a picture of how the driveshaft necks down to .865", which seems crazy to me! Time will tell what breaks first!

John
It appears that the Lincoln 2.0 uses the same 8f35 transmissions at the Maverick uses, but the 2.3 uses the 8f40

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I need sources.

I don't have access to anything that shows a 8F40 trans as an option. Ford online parts and online dealers show it as an 8F35. If you have documents that show it, I'm all for it! I'm here to learn and understand Ford's nomenclature, but personally I haven't heard anything of the sort besides word of mouth online.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Small update tonight. I spent about 3 hours throwing everything back together. Everything was just done in reverse of removal, so it did take quite a bit to get all the turbo components assembled with the turbo behind the engine, but all is well. There is a coolant cooler on the top back of the engine that needs bolted back up, then it's just the intake tubes and associated hardware, and then I can top coolant off and give her an oil change.

I may have to take a break from working on the Mav for a few weeks, as I need to toss in my new rods and pistons into my Honda Insight so I can try to run 6.50's in the 1/8th mile at Ice Cream Cruise. If you want to check out 1500+ awesome modified cars, the Ice Cream Cruise is where its at! Early August I believe.

More to follow as time allows!

Sponsored

twoquickcapri

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I need sources.

I don't have access to anything that shows a 8F40 trans as an option. Ford online parts and online dealers show it as an 8F35. If you have documents that show it, I'm all for it! I'm here to learn and understand Ford's nomenclature, but personally I haven't heard anything of the sort besides word of mouth online.
It's stated at the bottom of the Lincoln Corsair build page that the 2.3 comes with the 8f40.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build corsair 8f40

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome! At least that is something! That is the first I have seen of anything stating that trans exists, haha.

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If we are after a stronger trans my vote is we try and get a group to pressure Raybestos to use their dies to cut higher end frictions and steels for the 8F35. Would be good to hit up Bronco Sport people as well. I was told if demand existed it would be made.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just want to say that I wont be doing this type of stuff anytime soon, but I cannot wait till I get to revisit this thread on my 2025 Maverick AWD Van thing I bought used for 12k in 2030. I really think this platform needs tuned up to be at 380hp. Once it is these Mavericks will be literally be the next Fox body Mustang. They used to be decent speed haulers. The fastbacks had room for you and your friends plus room for gear in the back, a decent ride, decent handling, and decent power to weight ratio, and responded very well to bolt-ons. Even if they only started around 200hp, 350 hp was very simple to get to without diving into the short block except for a cam maybe. Curiously they too, were right at the limit of their transmission (T5) at the time. And of course the Tremec and the aftermarket responded with clutches, gears, and shifters. Much like what yall are suggesting.

I love it!

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can fully appreciate what your going through.

I added 3.5 ecoboost twin turbos to my 3.7 V6 Mustang using 3.5 ecoboost stuff, and a lot of custom fabricating. So this type of stuff is right down my alley. Ended up making 530 whp and 600 wtq on stock block and rods at 12 psi On 93 octane with water injection (for cylinder cooling).

But I’ll be honest I don’t think I have enough left in me after that custom project to pursue one for the Maverick. So glad someone is doing stuff like this. Again great job and I’m watching this thread for updates.

oh and I was never a fan of 5 star tuning for 3.5 EB or 3.7 NA tunes, I went with MPT for my custom tuning. I know that they don’t do anything for 2.0 Maverick.
I have read good things about BCB and that’s who I will go with for my Maverick when I’m ready to tune unless a better tuner offers some tunes. Pretty sure BCB tunes the trans and the engine both.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Damn! 530 in a Mustang must have been pretty quick! My 18 F150 was on E50 and ran 11.96@111mph, so I was pretty happy with what 5 star did. I didn't get too far into the weeds of getting a bunch of revisions though.

When I get some more free time, I'll get back in touch with 5 star and see what they are doing for trans tuning. I thought that was already part of their tune. I think my Mav is still .4-.5 seconds behind others that have the same tune! So there must be something else going on. If I end up being unhappy with 5 Star, I can always toss a different compa

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update time! Last night I put everything back together, and started the Mav. Well it wasn't happy! there were check engine lights, and some stumbling. Turns out, I'm not quite sure how, but I completely smashed the Crankshaft Position Sensor! I don't like how they have the sensor ring on the balancer pulley, and a completely unprotected sensor hanging off the backside. With the passenger wheel off, you can see it directly from the wheel well, which has me thinking this could be an issue with offroading/snow weather. But then again, I haven't heard of anyone breaking one, so maybe it's just me, haha.

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well my plans just got put on hold. Turbo was damaged, working on getting that resolved, and the my spare car is way further from being ready than originally planned. Good luck with your setup and I am excited to see how it goes.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Have you thought about going to cooler plugs? Are bigger injectors made for this engine?

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you thought about going to cooler plugs? Are bigger injectors made for this engine?
the current limiting factor for me is the turbo. There is still room left in the fuel system but the turbo can’t deliver anymore at its size.
Sponsored