Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
After watching this video the fact that they stamp on and offer an FX4 OFF ROAD package on the Maverick is a disgrace. I didn't expect a full fledged rock crawler by any means but I'm 99% sure my 2012 Colorado with RWD only and a rear locker could have made it over those obstacles better. I get an AWD, but to specifically offer an FX4? We sure found out why Ford changed the frame on the FX4 and put tow hooks on, to enable it to be more easily pulled out each time it gets stuck.

I think it's in the vid or another from the same channell, he has similar issues with a Ford Ranger Tremor, which in theory is a "true" off road vehicle. The course is just really tough with such soft sand.

The only one he seemed happy with was the channel 4-runner, which is probably well more expensive than even the Tremor and by Toyota, both of which the auto press seem heavily biased towards. Which, the 4Runner got stuck under manual direction just the same as the rest, the difference seemed to be he put it in crawl mode, and without any input it magically navigated the obstacle with relative ease. Tremor also has such an crawl mode with a slightly different name, but it seemingly did not really work to get through the trail.

But the toyota 4Runner is a different vehicle, different wheelbase, weighting etc.

But like I said my pet peeve with auto channels is how snobbish they are. Notice they pretty much always like whatever the most expensive option is (surprise) so for example they tend to be big Ridgeline and Jeep Gladiator fans since those have the highest starting MSRP. That and Toyota. Ranger and Colorado have the most entry level pricing (pre Mav, which may or may not be competition etc) and get looked down on the most.
Sponsored

Last edited:

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
This is the perfect review for me, this type of offroading is what I would be doing, basically driving through unmaintained dirt/farm roads on the way to the cabin or camping spots, the stock maverick did better than I expected considering the shitty tires it had.

Anyone who sees this video and says "the maverick sucks off-road" just has some unreasonable expectations.

Grayhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Engine
Undecided
This is really a very good "drive review" of actual capability! I am glad I got AWD, and not the 4X version, which I did not need. I need the AWD only for Torrential Rains here in FL + I may do some camping and get into mild, very mild off road paths to traverse to a camp site. "Good stuff Maynard!" 100 points for the person that responds with affirmation of from whence that quote was stated - multiple times.... years ago!!??
Dobie Gillis

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Don’t like the decals, but I like the black wheels and the 6.5“ center screen. I never intended any serious off roading, but I drive pasture to get to a couple of my fishing spots the Maverick 4x will work just fine.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
I’m glad I watched this. Getting to/from most of my hunting areas will be too much for the Mav. I was hoping for a little more off-road capability. Looks like I’m back to Ranger or new Frontier. Adios folks.

Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’m glad I watched this. Getting to/from most of my hunting areas will be too much for the Mav. I was hoping for a little more off-road capability. Looks like I’m back to Ranger or new Frontier. Adios folks.
I would wait for offroading reviews that use good tires, not the Pirelli garbage Ford put on there for the FX4.

But yeah, if you need it you need it. The Ranger and Frontier are awesome vehicles.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmmm, I wish I had known to get the 235's instead. But on the other hand I will have a year of highway driving in Europe before I bring it back and do anything with it, so I am probably better off with the stock setup that comes with the FX4 package for now.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pulling a 2500 pound boat out of the water via precarious boat ramps, that’s why AWD. It’s not just about “off-roaring”.
I meant why bother hard off roading with it. Sure light duty drive to a campsite. Boat ramps and on road snow are probably the best us for the AWD

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ranger is old hat, about to be replaced. Its older than many Americans realize as its been out in europe longer than here.

Sponsored

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I actually really enjoy Ryan's videos because he does things in stock configuration as much as possible. It is also worth noting that car manufacturers don't allow any changes to the vehicle when reviewing it, so it levels the playing field for all reviews regardless of if he owns the vehicle or not. By relying strictly on the OEM equipped tires and the drive modes, it removes all user changeable variables when testing the vehicle. It is worth noting that that material he is driving on is deceptively difficult and even the Ranger with a locking rear was struggling in parts.

With all that being said, the performance is about what I expected from the Maverick and its AWD system. It should be as capable as a modern-day Subaru Outback. In my opinion, Subaru's AWD system is fantastic but unfortunately it is hindered by the pathetic CVT that cannot put enough torque down to the wheels when off-roading. With a proper set of all-terrain tires, the Maverick will do fine on fire and logging roads, as well as green trails at off-road parks (at least near me).

If I was going to find myself off-roading a bit, I would invest in a proper set of all-terrain tires, a pair of Maxtrax, and ARB Digital Inflator & Deflator and a portable air compressor to air back up.

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
It's all about tradeoffs. You get good fuel mileage and on road drivability but that will take away off road ability.
I like the idea of a vehicle that is versatile, even if it has limits.
Welcome to Maverick.
I see a beefed up version of this vehicle in the future.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I originally selected the splash guards but somehow didn't make it on the DORA I signed. That was good for two reasons; 1. it turned out to be a late availability item and 2. after watching this video, not sure If I still want them now. I think for the most part the plastic will help out with the mud splash.

Grayhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Engine
Undecided
Good Stuff Grayhawk! did you have to google it?
yep! I am old enough that I should have remembered but then again I am 80 so old enough to now not remembering things. Now, can you just send me the $100 rather than give me points? :)
Sponsored