First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Edit: This is meant as an example for people, like me, who have never towed anything before.

This trailer by itself is the max a non-tow package Mav can safely pull.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 20210910_102548
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 20210910_102441
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 20210910_102447
Sponsored

Last edited:

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That trailer is made for hauling a vehicle. As soon as you roll a vehicle up on it, you'll likely be exceeding weight towing capacity on a Maverick.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry. I edited the post to provide clarity.

This is meant as a pictoral tow capacity example for towing noobs like me.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That trailer is made for hauling a vehicle. As soon as you roll a vehicle up on it, you'll likely be exceeding weight towing capacity on a Maverick.
I edited for clarity, but your statement is exactly the point. A non-4k-towing Mav should only tow this trailer if empty, and a 4k Mav would probably be hard pressed to tow anything except a Smart Car on this trailer.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Edit: This is meant as an example for people, like me, who have never towed anything before.

This trailer by itself is the max a non-tow package Mav can safely pull.
Something you may not have noticed, and would be fairly rare on a typical 2000# trailer, is the example you posted has a self-contained (surge) brake system, so it does not need the electric brake controller as supplied on the 4K tow package. A 2000# trailer weight, behind a 3700# vehicle, adds 50% more weight for the vehicle brakes to handle.

HRG

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 20210910_102441

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for posting this. I know a lot of people need to see size examples of what can and cannot be towed by the Mav. I saw dual axel and knew instantly that it's WAY to big.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
2000lbs is plenty for a lot of trailers and probably a lot of the usage most people looking at Mavs want/need. Here's an example of some uhaul trailers the 2000lbs rated Mavs can tow:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

900lbs empty so you could load up to 1100lbs in it legally.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/

800lbs empty so you could put up to a 1200lb motorcycle in it legally

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x7-Utility-Trailer-Rental/FS/

630lbs empty so you could load it up with 1,370lbs of stuff

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I think a better example would be a 5x8 enclosed trailer. Those weigh about 700-900lbs empty with a GVWR around 2000-3000lbs depending on the axle.

That leaves about 1,100 to 1,300lbs of trailer payload. If we round down to the 80% rule (do not exceed 80% of the vehicle's tow capacity), that leaves 700-900lbs of trailer payload, which is still plenty for most household goods that'll fit inside.

For a frame of reference, an ATV like a Yamaha Raptor 700 would fit fine, both dimensionally and by weight. Books are common household goods, but books are almost 100% material density, whereas a mattress or couch is more than 50% air inside.

If you stuff the trailer full of books, you'll be guaranteed to be over the trailer's GVWR. But if you stuff your living room furniture in the trailer, you'll likely be okay as long as your furniture isn't solid oak, MDF, or something else unusually heavy.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 5x8ecl1

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 5x8ecluh

Last edited:

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That Penske trailer is pretty damn heavy. Not really a reflection of the kinds of things most of us will be hauling with our Mavericks.

The U-Haul trailers are much better examples. Thanks for posting them!

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid, and only added the hitch because it seemed really cheap at $100....
I don't plan on towing anything, but it will be nice to have the option to rent a lightweight, small cargo trailer if needed. I'm amazed at how little a 2000 lb towing limit actually is!

Sponsored

donkiboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the non-tow package 2.0 eco AWD also max tow rated 2000 lb?
I know tongue weight also calculate into max payload and must be 10% of trailer weight.
What would be the heaviest tear drop or square drop trailer I can haul?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the non-tow package 2.0 eco AWD also max tow rated 2000 lb?
Yes, tow rating should be the same for all Maverick's that don't have the 4K tow package.

Most common thing we've towed with our Ram 1500 is a little motorcycle trailer. The Uhaul motorcycle trailer is 800lbs, so that leaves you with 1200lbs capacity, yet a motorcycle only weighs about 500lbs.

If doing a Home Depot or garden center haul where the bed just isn't enough, renting their 4x7 utility trailer you're looking at 630lbs for the trailer leaving you 1300lbs or so to load up.

There are also lightweight popup travel trailers like this example at 1,635lbs means you can still load it with 365lbs of gear and still be in your safety margin.
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow Safari-Condo-Alto-Snapshot

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I think a better example would be a 5x8 enclosed trailer. Those weigh about 700-900lbs empty with a GVWR around 2000-3000lbs depending on the axle.

That leaves about 1,100 to 1,300lbs of trailer payload. If we round down to the 80% rule (do not exceed 80% of the vehicle's tow capacity), that leaves 700-900lbs of trailer payload, which is still plenty for most household goods that'll fit inside.

For a frame of reference, an ATV like a Yamaha Raptor 700 would fit fine, both dimensionally and by weight. Books are common household goods, but books are almost 100% material density, whereas a mattress or couch is more than 50% air inside.

If you stuff the trailer full of books, you'll be guaranteed to be over the trailer's GVWR. But if you stuff your living room furniture in the trailer, you'll likely be okay as long as your furniture isn't solid oak, MDF, or something else unusually heavy.

5x8ecl1.jpg

5x8ecluh.jpg
A 5x8 enclosed trailer will exceed the front area limit of the capacity. You are limited to 20 sq ft.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't completely agree with the 80% rule since its arbitrary. If you have the right trailer with appropriate brakes and loaded correctly I don't see anything wrong with towing at the limit.
If Ford wanted you to only tow at 80% they would set tow limit there.

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a lot of small campers that fit under the 2000 lb limit.

Also keep in mind that Ford's rating is based on stock suspension and tires, for the safety sticklers out there.
Sponsored