Sponsored

Dealer refunding my $500 deposit because Ford took on too many Maverick orders?

916Hybrid

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
I submitted an order last Friday, September 16 at 3:30 at my local dealership. Xlt Hybrid with no options subject to the supply constraints. I just received a call from the sales department saying that ford had taken on too many orders and they would refund me my $500 deposit. They said they would leave my name on the order in case it was able to get built but didnā€™t think it would for 2023. Anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's becoming quite common.. Although that was pretty early order.

BryanSD

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer never asked for a deposit. Wonder if that's now a "no no" in Ford's own ordering program? My salesman hinted that no deposits necessary because really if any of their customers backed out at time the car was delivered...the dealer would likely make a profit selling the vehicle to another customer.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I submitted an order last Friday, September 16 at 3:30 at my local dealership. Xlt Hybrid with no options subject to the supply constraints. I just received a call from the sales department saying that ford had taken on too many orders and they would refund me my $500 deposit. They said they would leave my name on the order in case it was able to get built but didnā€™t think it would for 2023. Anyone else have this happen?
I laughed out loud on this one.....

Let me translate for you.

"They would refund me my $500 deposit." = "Hey customer, we want to give you the deposit back so we aren't obligated to sell it to you if/when it gets built."

"They said they would leave my name on the order in case it was able to get built." = "We aren't going to cancel your order. If it gets built, we will sell it to the highest bidder since we returned your deposit".

Call them back and say that you don't want your deposit back. You want them to hold on to the deposit until the 2023 model year is balanced out and Ford has finished scheduling the 2023 model year.

Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I laughed out loud on this one.....

Let me translate for you.

"They would refund me my $500 deposit." = "Hey customer, we want to give you the deposit back so we aren't obligated to sell it to you if/when it gets built."

"They said they would leave my name on the order in case it was able to get built." = "We aren't going to cancel your order. If it gets built, we will sell it to the highest bidder since we returned your deposit".

Call them back and say that you don't want your deposit back. You want them to hold on to the deposit until the 2023 model year is balanced out and Ford has finished scheduling the 2023 model year.
But a deposit is not required... so just returning it does not relieve them of their obligation.

Plenty of people put down no deposit.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But a deposit is not required... so just returning it does not relieve them of their obligation.
But it removes much/all of the claim the customer can make that the dealer was committing to sell it to them. The Dealer can say "we refunded you". There is very little actual legal obligation even with a deposit. If the deposit it returned, even less of an obligation.

jim13

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thing is, nothing has been confirmed from Ford. These are just dealers making an assumption on pre production constraints/allocations.

Best is to leave everything as is, for the time being. Not that Ford is the gold standard at relaying information, but I guarantee we'll have more than we have now in the coming months.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The thing is, nothing has been confirmed from Ford. These are just dealers making an assumption on pre production constraints/allocations.

Best is to leave everything as is, for the time being. Not that Ford is the gold standard at relaying information, but I guarantee we'll have more than we have now in the coming months.
Exactly

I am with you. But I smell a rat when a dealer says "We want to give you your deposit back but still keep your order as is with your name on it".

That smells fishy to me.

bigshmoop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Plymouth Satellite, 2023 Toyota 4Runner ORP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would be nice if @Ford Motor Company would comment if anything like this has been relayed to their dealer network. I'm not gonna hold my breath, but would be nice.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's more likely just so the dealership doesn't have to keep track of a bunch of deposits for up to a year and maybe some 75% of which they'll end up having to refund when they don't schedule. Also it's not like they have to worry about you going around to other dealers to place multiple preorders by this point.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is still a signed sales order. A lot of people had no deposit at all put down, so your logic would state that there is no commitment to their order.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is still a signed sales order. A lot of people had no deposit at all put down, so your logic would state that there is no commitment to their order.
Correct. Find me a post on here (or anywhere on the internet) where someone who had their order sold to someone else received any resolution from the dealership. You won't find one. What you WILL find are a good number of people who had their order sold out from under them.

There is no legal commitment to any of our orders. With a deposit, there is at least the impression of a quasi-official commitment to sell it to you. Still not a legal commitment......

jim13

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly

I am with you. But I smell a rat when a dealer says "We want to give you your deposit back but still keep your order as is with your name on it".

That smells fishy to me.
No doubt. This is 100% the reason I ordered from Long McArthur vs a nearby dealership. A 650 mile trip was worth my sanity vs trying to figure out which local dealers wouldn't play games during the order process. If I get my truck, great, if I don't, then there's nothing further I could have done.
Sponsored