First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there a forecast of when the semiconductor chips supply chain will be back to normal (or close to it)? I'm guessing our Texas freeze (living here in Houston) didn't help matters when it comes to resins and plastics...
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
ElMaverick

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Is there a forecast of when the semiconductor chips supply chain will be back to normal (or close to it)? I'm guessing our Texas freeze (living here in Houston) didn't help matters when it comes to resins and plastics...
Talk is by end of summer but might spill into the fall, production will ramp up slowly though

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I read a business forecast yesterday that said it will likely drag into 2022 and even then not be close to normal until end of 2022. During the shutdowns people went crazy buying up consumers goods like cell phones on line and wiped out all inventories and next committments. Also there is a backlog of container ships off our ports because of Suez Canal blockage and they are predicting fuel shortages because they can't find enough drivers. Not a pretty picture for some time.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I work for a software startup that serves the semiconductor industry. Shortages of one kind or another will continue until 2025 at least, at least until more manufacturing capacity comes online or old capacity is taken out of mothballs, which is somewhat more likely for small chipsets like those in cars. GPU's used in gaming, AI and in bitcoin mining? Years.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good point, but what I don’t get is that the bronco sport starts at 26k, so how is Ford going to sell the Maverick starting at 6k less than the bronco sport which the Maverick will be based upon?
Ford can sell a vehicle for whatever they think the market will bear. There is a lot of Bronco “cache” built into the Bronco Sport price.

Sponsored

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
The chip shortage is hitting everyone. I think Ford will spread their supply across the model line and focus on what sells in each model. Since the Maverick has not been officially released they can delay it in order to build Bronco Sports and Escapes which sell pretty well.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
I’m selling my 2006 GMC Sierra this week, I won’t wait to long, I’ll just buy a 2nd Ranger, they got 2021 Rangers in Tampa for $25,500.00
Regards

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Well, that's got to suck for all the people who are currently waiting (im)patiently for a Bronco Sport that they ordered. Judging by what most people are saying, it's probably safe to assume that the Maverick is being delayed as well.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I’m selling my 2006 GMC Sierra this week, I won’t wait to long, I’ll just buy a 2nd Ranger, they got 2021 Rangers in Tampa for $25,500.00
Regards
I’m starting to get impatient as well. I’m all aboard with a 2021 Colorado if I don’t get some info here shortly.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I have been looking at 2wd Supercab Rangers. Just need base, mid package and locker as start for build. Easily under 30k.
I can easily wait into 2022. Our 2018 F-150 only has 10K miles and I know it doesn't kill my weak lower back on long trips driving 500+ miles per day. I need to test drive a Maverick and read reviews as I'm not sold on the transverse mounted motor arrangement. I'd probably need the larger motor with AWD, but need to see pricing too before ruling in or out. New 2022/23 Ranger will probably be my fallback position, but I need to drive a 2WD version as the current 4WD sits too high for me to load motorcycles by myself. Current Frontier is low enough and I do prefer the V6 in that 1, so may end up looking for gently used 2020/21 Frontier when people start trading in on the redesigned model. Won't consider any Santa Cruz, Ridgeline, Tacoma (bad seating position for my back), Jeep Gladiator, or GM mid-size. If all else fails to check enough boxes I may just go all the way back to last generation Ranger- or Find a 1964/65 Ranchero and pay somebody to restore it and modernize the electricals and the drivetrain on it for me :cool:

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I might just lease a Santa Cruz or a Frontier.

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Well, I have been looking at 2wd Supercab Rangers. Just need base, mid package and locker as start for build. Easily under 30k.
That is what I am driving now. Just looking for a smaller truck like the new Maverick.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat