Sponsored

How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick?

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for sharing that link for Harbor Freight, that's a great deal! California overhang can only be 4', my kayak is 10.5'
Does anyone know the full length of the bed with the tailgate down?
6’

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are there post holes for lumber racks like this?

I've looked at several pics of the bed from above in the past and don't see plugs or cutouts for where posts would be inserted. The plastic cladding covers up the tops of the bed walls.
No post holes. Why not build a rack that fits in the flex bed slots held in by tie downs?

OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently use a Boondox T Bone on my Colorado to haul my 10 foot kayak. It’s lightweight and attaches to the hitch receiver. With my 5 foot bed, the yak sticks out mere inches from the T Bone bar. Add six inches with the 4.5 foot bed and it should work just fine. It’s $219, admittedly a little pricey for some, but can’t beat the convenience.
interesting. I did not know this existed. the bed on the maverick is 4.5'+ 1.5' for the tail gate.. maybe not for a 14' but nice
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627663650345

LITH505

First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 818BE83E-C01F-4A05-BD20-8B2F0855EC95

I currently transport a 10 foot kayak on the roof of my Hyundai Sonata. I just use foam blocks & straps i got at Farm & Fleet. The Mav’s roof looks longer & flatter than my car. I’m considering the tow hitch truck bed extender.
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 6854829C-8355-411C-8775-BDCB8F744D5F

Sponsored

LadyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
interesting. I did not know this existed. the bed on the maverick is 4.5'+ 1.5' for the tail gate.. maybe not for a 14' but nice
1627663650345.png
That's the reason I got a trailer hitch!

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Is there any sleek solution to carry long items with the maverick? I will rarely need this so ideally something that does not impact too much the mpg or removed quickly and of course keep the pickup looking good.
I see different ideas around but I never had a pickup so asking. I feel the roof is too short to just use foam blocks..
I also have the need to occasionally move snowblower but could not see any single accessory that could do both, i.e. be used to carry kayak/lumber and snowblower/lawnmower

1627649341253.png

1627652671573.png
I would do that first pic, but use the soft rack in the second pic instead of the single crossbar on the cab. It'll also work if you need to carry a few pieces of lumber. This is where the short bed of the Maverick is almost a benefit...the gap between the goal post in the trailer hitch and the soft rack on the cab roof is probably going to be about 5-6 feet, so there's less unsuspended material than a pickup with a longer bed.

I'd also wrap a tie down strap around the lumber and hook the ends to one of the Maverick's many tie-downs in the bed. Not tight enough to bend the lumber, but just snug so the unsuspended part can't bounce/wobble.

If you need to carry more than a few pieces, or really heavy pieces like 2x12s, then I'd get a single crossbar, or just rent a trailer. I wouldn't want to put too much weight on the soft rack to avoid denting the cab.

4' beyond the rear? Rear of vehicle or the end of the tailgate? My current truck has a 6' bed so I haven't had to think about this. If you use a hitch bed extender, like the one from Harbor freight, is it 4' overhang beyond the end of that?
I recall reading somewhere that it'd be 4' beyond the rearmost fixed point (non-movable/non quick-detachable) on the vehicle, so that'd be the rear bumper.

If I'm correct, it makes sense since you could otherwise just install a 6' hitch extender and legally carry 4x12 sheetrock in the Maverick, tailswing be darned.

But for all intents and purposes, cops (especially in larger cities) have bigger fish to fry than stopping you for having cargo 18" past the legal limit. I go with "bend one law at a time and you'll be fine." If you are carrying cargo slightly too long, you best not be speeding excessively, or making aggressive lane changes, and your taillights and turn signals aught to work.

AUTiger83

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Lariat, FX4, 4k Tow, Azure Gray.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My brother's Tacoma with a 16' canoe and a 14.5' SOT kayak. By far the easiest way to transport kayaks and long lumber. No lifting! Just slide them in and attach a red flag. My Sport Trac beyond was parked at the take-out to carry them home. The Sport Track bed is 4'-2", so the Maverick will handle long kayaks, too.
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? WP_20130920_003
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? WP_20130920_001

AUTiger83

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Lariat, FX4, 4k Tow, Azure Gray.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck Bed Hitch Extender Extension Rack Canoe Boat Kayak Lumber w/Flag
A few reasons this is better than the Harbor Freight version:

1. The horizontal piece slopes up from the hitch. Less chance it will drag where a hill transitions to a flat road (e.g., steep driveway).
  2. The horizontal piece ("goal post") is actually three pieces, so it can be made narrow or wide.
  3. The horizontal piece can be flipped, so it raises the "goal post" up to truck roof level.

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently use a Boondox T Bone on my Colorado to haul my 10 foot kayak. It’s lightweight and attaches to the hitch receiver. With my 5 foot bed, the yak sticks out mere inches from the T Bone bar. Add six inches with the 4.5 foot bed and it should work just fine. It’s $219, admittedly a little pricey for some, but can’t beat the convenience.
That’s what I’m going to get, my kayak is 10.5

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am looking to take advantage of the Maverick's relatively low cab height 66-68" by reports. It is about the same as my Subaru Forester. A ladder rack would only be a couple of feet off the rails and it should be easy to handle loading a boat up there for an adult. Much easier than an F150 or even a Tacoma.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That's the reason I got a trailer hitch!
Yes. I have not yet pulled a trailer with my vehicle. But I have used a hitch mount bike rack, motorcycle rack, luggage rack and shackle tow rope attachment point to pull a stuck truck out.
Very handy.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
I plan on getting the Yakima overhaul HD kit if it fits the maverick and probably a roof rack as well so I can take my 14’ bonafide anywhere I want to go fishing.

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? CE425462-3392-45A8-A287-CFB223348F75

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 88A0448B-8911-4A92-8584-85072EE98C5C
Sponsored